Silicate Paint by SecilTek is an exceptionally durable and highly breathable paint for masonry, having an Sd value of 0.01 m.
Silicate Paint system, which requires a base coat of Silicate Primer for most applications, provides a high quality, long-lasting finish for use internally and externally.
Apply on a wide range of surfaces*, including lime and cement renders, brick and stone. Silicate paint can be used equally on traditional and modern structures.
It is perfect for troublesome areas, such as damp basements.
*Due to the potential for batch variation, we recommend you order sufficient paint in a single order to complete your work.
SecilTek Silicate Paint has a number of advantages over many other masonry paints:
- Highly breathable paint: allowing water vapour to escape whilst also being resistant to rain and water ingress.
- Unaffected by UV light: conventional acrylic paints can become brittle over time.
- Exceptionally durable: a high life expectancy if applied correctly on to a suitable surface.
- Scrubbable and resistant to airborne pollutants and acid rain.
- Suitable for a wide range of substrates, including lime and cement render, gypsum plaster, brick and stone*.
*not suitable for application on to all types of pebble dash finish.
- The solvent is water, not petrochemical – so virtually no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).
The use of a breathable paint is essential in traditional buildings with solid walls (no cavity). Trapped moisture caused by film-forming acrylic paints can cause serious damp and structural problems.
Finish and colours
Flat matt finish available in a standard 24 select colours. SecilTek Paint is also available in over 2,000 stunning colours, including close matches to colour standards such as: NCS, RAL and BS4800.
For bare surfaces apply one coat of SecilTek Silicate Primer followed by two coats of SecilTek Silicate Paint by brush or roller.
Please contact us for advice on application on to existing painted surfaces.
100 ml sample, 2.5 litre, 5 litre and 15 litre.
4-8 m²/litre per coat, depending on the finish and porosity.
What is an Sd value?
This Sd value is a measurement of vapour permeability. This is equal to the resistance of an equivalent thickness of air. Therefore, the lower the Sd value the better the breathability. Paints with an Sd value less than 0.1 m are considered to be highly breathable paints.
SecilTek Silicate Paint has an Sd value of 0.01 m.
About Silicate Paints
Silicate paints were designed at the behest of King Ludwig I of Bavaria in the late 18th Century. Ludwig commissioned a paint that looked and worked like limewash, but was more durable in the harsh winter climate. The small pore size of silicate paint allows high water vapour permeability (breathability). At the same time these small pores don’t allow the larger rainwater molecules to penetrate. There are instances in Germany of silicate paints lasting 100 years!
Like limewash, silicate paint also soaks into the substrate. In addition to this, potassium silicate (water glass) reacts to form a micro-crystalline bond – a process known as silicification.
Silicate paints have a comparable thermal expansion co-efficient to a mineral substrate. This therefore minimises the stresses and damage caused by differential expansion.
Request the SecilTek Silicate Paint colour card, free swatches or further information below.
- Stabilises loose, powdery surfaces.
- Helps prevent algae growth.
- Touch dry in 1 hour.
- Water based, highy breathable.
- Easy to apply with standard brush.
- Apply paint coats in right angles to each other (i.e. horizontal brush strokes for the base coat, vertical brush strokes for the top coat).
Suitable for all mineral surfaces including lime renders and plasters, cement renders and plasters, stone and brick. Please contact us for advice on surfaces such as existing acrylic paints.
100ml Sample, 2.5 Litre, 5 Litre, 15 Litre
White, Traffic White, Parchment, Aurora, Pinenut, Sunlight, Cornsilk, Biscuit, Meadow, Blush, Soft Pink, Tandoori, Pewter, Verona, Oyster White, Cyprus, Spearmint, Pastel Green, Grey White, Smoky Grey, Ariel, Maritime, Window Grey, Charcoal